by Zach L., Age 10 , Grade 4, PA
Steven Chen was born in Taiwan on August 18, 1978. He moved to the United States at 8 years old. He spent a lot of time on the internet. He worked at PayPal in 1999. He wrote software programs. On February 15, 2005, Steven Chen and 2 friends decided to start YouTube because they had a video from their own party that was too big to send to their friends by email.
What the Invention Does
YouTube is a social media website. You can upload videos to the website. You can view other people’s videos. Some people can earn money using YouTube because they get paid for their videos. YouTube is easy to use. YouTube users can post and watch videos without having to buy or use extra software. The videos are organized and can be found by using the search box. You can find videos in different languages.
Why Was It Invented?
YouTube was created so people could use it to be able to share videos with friends. Chen wanted to send a video from a dinner party to his friends but the file was too big. Karim and Hurley helped with the idea and the name came from calling the TV “the tube.”
• YouTube rapidly became one of the internet’s fastest growing websites.
• A year after it started, YouTube became the 10th most popular website.
• According to biography.com, there are 100 million clips viewed daily on YouTube.
• Also 65,000 videos are uploaded every 24 hours.
• In 2006, Steven Chen and Chad Hurley sold YouTube to Google for $1.65 billion in stock.
By Zach Lowe